This is what I would like to be. This is what I believe I can become. Maybe it's a little more difficult since I live in a small town in Sicily. On this blog I want to describe how my life here gradually changes and evolves. Describe my little successes and failures. Enjoy!

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Ok, so I'm different. You've got a problem with that?!

Ok, so let's start from the beginning..

Being on holidays means having more time to dedicate to pastimes, like cinema for example. I have previously mentioned my resentment towards cinemas in Italy, where 99% of films are dubbed. I hate dubbing! How can you fully appreciate and "savor" a film if an actor is deprived of their original voice?! I mean, really. As far as acting is concerned, such qualities like voice, pitch, tone, diction and timbre are essential. When the voice is changed, acting changes. There's no way to find exactly the same voice and only change the lg of expression. Therefore I accept dubbing only in cartoons and films for children, where the process of reading can be an obstacle to comprehension of the message coveyed in a film. Plus, there's another thing as well. People. You know Italians.. I mean at least you know what everyone thinks of Italians. Warm and friendly, never tightlipped, never silent, love talking and commenting on everything. That's not just a stereotype. That's true. And whereas this may turn out to be a real advantage is some situations, in others, it may trigger only annoyance. Think about places like cinemas or theatres. Italians wouldn't be able to resist commenting on a move or play for the whole duration o it. Impossible. You can always hear some chitchats, whispers around the whole room once an interesting scene has taken place.


Having said that
Avatar...


Please sit. I didn't like Avatar. Yes, the special effects are amazing, but the story is not. It's simple, acting is not breath-taking, after leaving the cinema, you don't contemplate changing your life or making some important decisions. At the same time, to my mind, the special effects used in this film... the triumph of form over substance occurs... The 3D technique is not perfect yet. The images sometimes change too fast, you feel like on a rollercoaster... and your head is spinning.. and then you end up with a headache...
...vs Nine



Whereas Nine... Nine makes the difference. The first impression you have is that the plot is simple here too, but then you realise it's mind-boggling and captivating, not to mention the gorgeous choreography. All in all, the show is absolutely astounding. I loved it! Plus, as a linguist, I appreciated the effort the actors put to speak English with an Italian accent (they really pulled it off!). Stars like Penelope Cruz and Nicole Kidman proved again to be brilliant actresses and not only beautiful women with long legs.

Please don't get me wrong, I didn't want to offend you, I don't condemn those of you who are absolutely enchanted by Avatar. I'm aware I'm in minority when it comes to judging these 2 films. Let it be. I'm different.

7 comments:

  1. ha finally someone like me! I didn't like Avatar. Okay it's well made and everything but the story was too long. For me it was too much of a "Look at me I'm American and I'm doing an impressive movie with lots of special effects". Just thought it was ruining everything. It was too much for me. AND I just learnt they stole the story line from a french comic book and they were hoping nobody would know.. Grr! not happy about that

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked Avatar. I respect your opinion about the movie, but I definitely thought there was a message to be taken away, a strong one at that.
    I feel the same way about dubbing though! In Belgium it was the same way and I think its nearly impossible to REALLY enjoy a movie without the original voices. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didnt like avatar either!!! It was ok but I don't get how they have so many nominations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mi sa che sono l'unica persona al mondo che non ha visto ancora Avatar...

    ReplyDelete
  5. dear jo... i didnt like avatar either. and everytime i say that to someone, they act like i just burnt their house down. haha.

    and i LOVE the book thief. its one of my favourites. what are you thinking about it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jo,
    I am on team "Nine" also. I thought "Avatar" was visually amazing, blah blah blah, but I'm more of a musicals gal + I have shameless fascination with all things Italian.

    Cute blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah: I've read the half of this book and I promise I'll post a review as soon as I finish it!

    ReplyDelete

Páginas vistas en total

Páginas

Datos personales

My photo
Difficult to describe me really. Definitely I am very complicated and ambitious... an aesthete.. sometimes a complainer. Neverhteless I would like to become Miss Independent. But no big words like sacrifice, dedication, devotion, etc... After all, I am a normal working girl who likes to go out, do shopping and having fun with her friends.

Search

© Miss Independent in Sicily, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena