This is what I would like to be. This is what I believe I can become. Maybe it's a little more difficult since I live in a small town in Sicily. On this blog I want to describe how my life here gradually changes and evolves. Describe my little successes and failures. Enjoy!

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Thirst for happiness...

Hello everyone! This week (and the next one as well) is quite tough for me, we have new students' arrivals at school so there's plenty of work. Therefore I'm sorry for lack of posts in this period. Finally real Sicilian spring has come, we've got sunny hot long days and short warm nights. I hope to go to the beach the next weekend! : )

Anyway, apart from that, look what I spotted on the Italian tv this week. The new Coca- Cola commercial. Intriguing. First watch, and then I'll translate it for you.



"My name is Giulia and I live in Pisa. Everyone has been speaking about the crisis lately; I am optimist, maybe because all I need are simple things: I prefer riding my bike to going by a super car, I prefer going on holiday to my Granny to staying in a holiday resort, I prefer pizza to sushi, and a sandwich with salami to the caviar. More than going to a gala dinner, I prefer staying at home and eating ragù (typical Italian meat sauce) prepared by Mum. And then all to play the cards!"

And the caption: "The happiness at the table doesn't come to crisis".

So I like this ad for two reasons. The first one is its beauty in its simplicity. In times when the more sth costs the better it is, the more elaborated sth is, the more quality it obtains, it's nice to see sth so incomplex, transparent and uncomplicated. Not many colours used, images which don't "jump" and change on the screen every split second, and most of all, the beautiful meaning and description of happiness in life. I must confess, I'm not like Giulia. I often forget about things she mentioned. Dinner is a normal thing, after all. I like going to holiday resorts, I enjoy dressing up for some important events... Wrong, wrong WRONG. Everything is fleeting and impernanent (look: crisis). I should be happy with things I have and not crave for more and more everyday...

The second thing I like about this ad is that in just a brief 30sec spot it shows us so many features/characteristics we associate with the Italians. Giulia mentioned: Pisa (and you can see the famous leaning Tower in the background) pizza, "panino con salame" (sandwich with salami), ragù and playing cards (this popular Italian hobby I haven't discovered until when I came to Italy actually). That's incredible. So I just wonder if you have seen this ad in your countries and how it is different from this one. What for example would a Spanish girl say? I prefer paella? And an English girl: I prefer fish and chips? What about the pastimes? In Sri Lanka: "..and then all to play cricket!", in Japan: "...and then all to do Ikebana!"?

Or maybe you've seen some other spots describing the nature/habits of a particular nation?

Please let me know, I'm awfully curious! : )

7 comments:

  1. For some reason I couldn't see the ad on my computer, but from the translation I read, I can see why you like the ad. Too often I get caught up in what I can't have and what I wish I could have. Ultimately, it is the select, simple moments in our lives we enjoy the most.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i also couldnt watch the ad. but the computer at school is very dodgy :)

    in japan- to drink beer! (ahahahaa. but its true!)

    in south africa - to ... hmmm. what do we do? cricket, rugby, wrestle with lions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good luck with the new students!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am following you now too! hopefully I will blog more! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Australia would be drink beer... and play... rugby? boring!!!

    awesome ad though... sometimes the most simple ones are the best

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for your "contribution" : )

    Sarah: wrestle with lions... wow... that must be interesting to see... like in the Gladiator movie!

    PMA: I teach English.

    Mary Evelyn: Thanks a lot! 70 students have already come, we're waiting for another 30. Hope that after next week, I'll be more present as a blogger : )

    Jackie: Welcome then! : ) Nice to see you here : )

    Al & Sarah: Drinking beer... hmmm.. looks like it's an international hobby! People love drinking beer in Italy, Poland, France, England and Belgium as well!

    ReplyDelete

Páginas vistas en total

Páginas

Datos personales

My photo
Difficult to describe me really. Definitely I am very complicated and ambitious... an aesthete.. sometimes a complainer. Neverhteless I would like to become Miss Independent. But no big words like sacrifice, dedication, devotion, etc... After all, I am a normal working girl who likes to go out, do shopping and having fun with her friends.

Search

© Miss Independent in Sicily, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena