This is what I would like to be. This is what I believe I can become. Maybe it's a little more difficult since I live in a small town in Sicily. On this blog I want to describe how my life here gradually changes and evolves. Describe my little successes and failures. Enjoy!

Sunday, May 31, 2009

My weekend and my new microwave.

It is a nice and relaxing weekend. Finally. No need to work on Sunday, my turn to keep the emergency phone (for the students, "just in case") is over. It's quite stressful to have this phone active 24/24. You need to remember to keep it always on you, the bettery should be always charged etc. Sometimes the students call without a really good reason: the light bulb in their bedroom got burnt or there's a dead pigeon in front of their appartment; whereas the reason we keep it is for a real emergency: someone is hurt, someone needs to be taken to a doctor/hospital, sth got stolen, etc.

Anyway, yesterday we went out with some friends (and my bf's brother and his gf who came from Milano for a short holiday) and we had a great time together. First, we had some pizza in an open air restaurant followed by a stroll in the historical center. We had a drink in a bar (mine was called "pick me up" and I can't really explain where its name derived from) and then (at 00.30!) we opted for some pancakes with Nutella in one of the most famous "creperias".

My plans to go to the beach unfortunately fell through: the weather is quite changeable this weekend and you can't really rely on it. Then I had this idea (you know this little light that out of the blue appears in your head..) to visit the new commercial center they opened close to Catania (it's called Katané) but after I gave it some thought, I arrived at the conclusion it could be extremely crowdy today: it's Sunday and I'm sure there are plenty of people as curious as I am therefore we've postponed it until a later date. We're having a blissful day at home instead.

What I really wanted to write about is what has happened to me quite recently (and about what I couldn't write earlier because of lack of time). Some weeks ago we bought this new microwave oven since the last one we had suddenly stopped working.



We brought it home, started using it but it wasn't until some days ago that I noticed something really strange about it... I was cleaning my kitchen when all of a sudden I noticed this:


There wouldn't be anything particular about this message if it wasn't written... in Polish! Let's face the truth: it happens to me to find some Polish instructions on the electro-domestic products but only because these products are sold to many different countries and there's one only manual that should serve everyone (it's usually "a book" with 100 pages divided into "chapters" written in various languages). It's amazing though to see a writing like that written ONLY in Polish on a product I bought in Italy. So I think it's a sign. Maybe it's stupid but the message describing only the technical characteristics of the device made me smile. I felt warmth growing in my heart and it wasn't even that I noticed this message in a difficult, "nostalgic" moment, no. But I believe it somehow was meant to be. Did anything like that ever happen to you too?

8 comments:

  1. i really hate that song `africa` by Toto (do you know it?) but the other day i heard it and i almost shed a tear of nostalgia... i felt so silly :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww that's such a cool story! The polish must have freaked you out a little bit - but in a good way!

    it happens to me when i hear people with a German accent, i get all nostalgic. Or when i hear German spoken in movies.

    i had a polish boyfriend for about 4 years, and i have to admit when i see things written in polish or hear it spoken, it kind of takes me back a little too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. im gonna ask a reallllllllly dumb question...

    So i picture italy to be all little towns and little streets that are like stone paved and all pretty and well the only shops are prada and chanel and gelato (notice i just used an italian word) .... so are there like alot of shopping centres that are normal with normal things like polish microwaves?

    I vote you do a post on the real Italy!!! pretty please :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Polish!? ahaha! thats funny! What will you do now?
    I have bought a few things in spanish here in america.. =/

    I hope you get to go to the beach soon! The weather is always a downer :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah: Yes, of course I know this song, didn't like it neither but you know the things we despise most can turn out to be quite pleasant actually!
    Ella: Tell us about the Polish bf! I'm soo curious! : )
    Al: I PROMISE I'll write about the REAL Italy soon, need to ponder on this future post a bit so that it becomes really PRETTY : )
    Jordan: I went to the beach today, actually : ) It's bank holiday today in Italy so we grabbed the sun cream and forgot about all the things we had to do today! It was sooo relaxing! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha the polish bf ....we're not together anymore, but i was with him for about 4 years, we did 3 euro-trips backpacking together and the first year he took me to Poland to visit his family and i took him to Germany to meet mine. Poland was cool, but certainly an experience. Luckily his grandfather spoke German so I wasn't completely lost haha.

    Where in Poland are you from? His family was in Lodz and in G'dansk, so I've only really been there. I know a couple words and I can count to 10, that's pretty much my extent :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ella, wow, what a coincidence! I am from Lodz too!!! : ))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Every time you describe Sicily, even in the smallest sense, makes me want to go there!

    ReplyDelete

Páginas vistas en total

Páginas

Datos personales

My photo
Difficult to describe me really. Definitely I am very complicated and ambitious... an aesthete.. sometimes a complainer. Neverhteless I would like to become Miss Independent. But no big words like sacrifice, dedication, devotion, etc... After all, I am a normal working girl who likes to go out, do shopping and having fun with her friends.

Search

© Miss Independent in Sicily, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena