This is what I would like to be. This is what I believe I can become. Maybe it's a little more difficult since I live in a small town in Sicily. On this blog I want to describe how my life here gradually changes and evolves. Describe my little successes and failures. Enjoy!

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Dress Code.

I wanted to talk about the dress code on the occasion of this year's Ascot races. I don't know if you've heard but in order to participate in the event, you're obliged to conform to very strict rules concerning the outfit. Got to the official Royal Ascot website and read...

"Her Majesty’s Representative wishes to point out that only formal day dress with a hat or substantial fascinator will be acceptable. Off the shoulder, halter neck, spaghetti straps and dresses with a strap of less than one inch and miniskirts are considered unsuitable. Midriffs must be covered and trouser suits must be full length and of matching material and colour.

Gentlemen are required to wear either black or grey morning dress, including a waistcoat, with a top hat. A gentleman may remove his top hat within a restaurant, a private box, a private club or that facility’s terrace, balcony or garden. Hats may also be removed within any enclosed external seating area within the Royal Enclosure Garden.

Overseas visitors are welcome to wear the formal national dress of their country or Service dress.

Ladies and Gentlemen not complying with the above dress regulations will be asked to leave the Royal Enclosure and relieved of their Royal Enclosure badge."

You can even take a look at the imagines taken during the previous Ascot events which show outfits that were (are) suitable and unsuitable... Wow... I think we need something like this also in our school. How is it possible that despite the fact my place of work is called a school, the (mostly American) students tend to dress as if they were at the Miami beach bar?! Ok, we are in Sicily but that doesn't mean students con wear bikinis, sarongs and flip flops to school! I'm not the most conservative person in this world but rules are rules and they should be respected.

Talking of Ascot, this year it's Vivienne Westwood (together with the legendary hat-maker Stephen Jones) who leads the way in fashion and style and gives all the directions for those who will participate. Westwood, who I always associated with punk style, craziness and bright screaming colours, this time surprised us all. The dresses she created are more "polite" than ever, the colours are subdued, it seems as if the Queen Elizabeth II herself participated in the whole "process". I like this pastel dress in particular.

Complimenti, Mrs Westwood! : )





PS. For those who are interested, those are links to Telegraph and Vogue's articles (1) (2)on the Ascot event.

6 comments:

  1. wow that's such an intense dress code! I think I'd be a little afraid if I was going to an event like that, it would be soo easy to be inappropriately dressed

    ReplyDelete
  2. me too!! i would worry that the queen and her guards would come and put me in the stocks and publically flag me for being so badlu dressed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loooove that dress code and those pictures!! I wish we dressed like that everyday!! I want to blog about this too!? Do you mind? I'm totally going to link to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah & Ella: Oh, girls, come on! If we went to the Ascot's races, we would have to be really rich. Which means we would have some stylists working for us to prepare us for this Gala. We wouldn't be petrified, I'm sure! : )
    Natalie: I don't mind at all! : ) On the contrary, I'm happy I could be some kind of inspiration for you : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha well that is probably true. I wish I had a stylist in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. True true!! But still- these events are scaaary! It's like fashion judgement day!

    ReplyDelete

Páginas vistas en total

Páginas

Datos personales

My photo
Difficult to describe me really. Definitely I am very complicated and ambitious... an aesthete.. sometimes a complainer. Neverhteless I would like to become Miss Independent. But no big words like sacrifice, dedication, devotion, etc... After all, I am a normal working girl who likes to go out, do shopping and having fun with her friends.

Search

© Miss Independent in Sicily, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena