This is what I would like to be. This is what I believe I can become. Maybe it's a little more difficult since I live in a small town in Sicily. On this blog I want to describe how my life here gradually changes and evolves. Describe my little successes and failures. Enjoy!

Monday, August 10, 2009

Kind of serious...

Hello everyone, it's been more than a week now... Yeah, work. This time though it's just the contrary, meaning lack of work, meaning I have been made redundant. Not from now, of course. I will be unemployed from November 6, I was given 3 month notice. Yeah, I was shocked at the beginning, after all I have dedicated almost 3 years of my quite short life to this school and I really felt very hurt. Unfortunately the crisis didn't omit Italy either... We had very high expectations for Fall '09 and Spring '10 we anticipated high number of students coming here from the US... Unfortunately the premises now look very different and last communications from the States herald very miserable 6 months for us... Therefore my colleague and I (despite having a "permanent" kind of contract with no finish date specified) need to leave the positions we've been holding for such a long time now.

And yes, I've been sad at the beginning. First of all, yeah, it's all about the money, one just doesn't think and appreciate how lucky he/she is, finding a certain sum of money put into their bank account every month and now suddenly it will change (I still need to pay the installments for my Smart for another year..). Secondly, I really cherished this job, damn it! I liked meeting new students every 2-4 months, the new faces, new meetings, new situations, etc. Plus I was really blessed with all the staff I was working with! We were like a family: we had bad times and good times but never forgot about our birthdays, we always remembered to bring a small gift if one of us left somewhere for even short holiday to another city/country... Sounds corny but yeah, I felt good in there.

After the first "phase", it just dawned on me that it's been some time now since I was thinking about doing sth different, maybe only changing the place of work, maybe dedicating myself only to teaching, don't know. It's been several times now that I spoke about it with my bf. And this is what I love so much about him, he always replied: "The most important for me is that you're happy", he never nagged or warned me that there's some risk involved of not finding anything more intresting and regretting this decision later on. He knows me. He knows I love challenges, I love to learn new things and in my school after some time, a slight sensation of mundane routine started to take over the excitement and thrill. So maybe it's my chance to find sth more exciting? Maybe it's my destiny?

So now, I'm looking for a job. My dream is to move to Milan with my bf and he knows that very well. And so we talked about this possibility and he said "You should try and then we'll decide what to do". And so I'm here sending my CVs here in Sicily and there in Milan and we'll see. Time will tell.

Now, since my school is closed for one week of holiday, my bf and I decided we need some relax too and so tomorrow we're heading off to Agrigento to enjoy the warm sea and the same wonderful hotel we were in with my parents some weeks ago : ) I'm coming back on Friday and promise to overwhelm you with some marvelous pictures and amazing stories : )

Please don't pity me, I'm really ok. I'm strong, positive and enthousiastic about the future, after all, you know me, I'm your Jo, Miss Independent in Sicily : )

7 comments:

  1. It did seem like an awesome job. But I'm sure you'll find another soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think everything happens for a reason, jo. and i think sometimes things end because you are supposed to do something new

    i dont doubt that you will find something! and i do not doubt that it will be great

    enjoy the opportunity to do something fantastic and new

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with sarah on this one, this just means that you will find your destiny and it will be absolutely fabulous!

    Enjoy your vacation with the bf, you've earned a few days to get away from it all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know its a bummer, but like you said, its time for something new! I've learned that "good things don't last forever" but new things sure come along! Best of luck job hunting! I'll be praying for you! Have a great trip!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. As cliche as it sounds, I truly believe the saying "When God shuts a door, he opens a window" and I know the same will be for you. It's a shame that you had to be let go from a job you truly enjoyed, but I hope whatever comes your way will be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, that is so hard! But you've got a good attitude about it, and you will survive, hey hey!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Girls... thank you soooo much for these comments! You really make my day! : ) I hope to stay positive for a long time about all this strange situation... : ) I'll keep you posted!

    ReplyDelete

Páginas vistas en total

Páginas

Datos personales

My photo
Difficult to describe me really. Definitely I am very complicated and ambitious... an aesthete.. sometimes a complainer. Neverhteless I would like to become Miss Independent. But no big words like sacrifice, dedication, devotion, etc... After all, I am a normal working girl who likes to go out, do shopping and having fun with her friends.

Search

© Miss Independent in Sicily, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena