This is what I would like to be. This is what I believe I can become. Maybe it's a little more difficult since I live in a small town in Sicily. On this blog I want to describe how my life here gradually changes and evolves. Describe my little successes and failures. Enjoy!

Saturday, April 10, 2010

What is a tragedy for you?

Is it when you forget to pay your bills on time? Is it when your dog eats your favourite shoe? Is it when you are 2 mins late for the last train? Is it when you lose your job? Or maybe when you break up with your bf/gf? All these things could be considered tragedies. Everything depends on the perspective and your personal attitude. To me, this day today is a tragedy. Polish President dies in a plane crash. Together with his wife and scores of other senior Polish figures. Let's be honest, I'm not interested in politics. I'm not here, in Italy, I wasn't back there in Poland. But it doesn't matter today.

I just finished my morning class and went out with Artù for a walk in Piazza Santa Lucia when I received a text message from my Mum informing me about the tragedy. Since that moment I have been crying and grieving continously when listening to the Polish radio on the Internet in seek for news and more information... Everyone died. "Crème de la crème" as the French would say. All the most important politicians, historians, representatives of Poland. I realised it cannot be fully understood by someone who is not Polish. My bf is trying to convince me that "things like that happen...", that it could be an opportunity for the country, than one should be sad but should aslo be able to look at this objectively. Well, I can't. At least not today. Maybe my reaction is exaggerated because I cannot be there? Or maybe I'm simply oversensitive... I called my Mum who started to cry together with me and I must say it was very comforting... Unfortunately my Dad wasn't home but after a few mins he called me on my mobile and tried to console me. This was very touching.

Only once have I felt the way I'm feeling now and it was when the Pope died, exactly 5 years ago. But I was in Poland and it was a bit easier. All the cars were "decorated" with a piece of black material/clothing attached to the radio aerial. I did that too.These tragedies change and unite people. Even if for a brief moment but suddenly you see they become kinder to each other, less aggressive, suddenly you don't hear about rapes, murderers or burglaries on radio or TV, people try to help each other, they become nicer. What's more I don't care about politics. Polish politics sucks, it's famous for outrageous scandals, continous quarrels and disorder and (of course) corruption. But it doesn't matter today. I feel as if sth has finished and my country will never be the same. Don't pity me. Just let me be sad. I know it'll pass.


5 comments:

  1. Jo, I know how your feeling! I'm not in Poland, I'm across the ocean. It certainly is a tragedy. My family is also quite affected by this. I agree with you and think that our country will never be the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jo I feel your pain completely! I've been watching the reports on the news and it almost brought me to tears too. Allow yourself this time to grieve, your country is grieving too.

    You are right in that some things will never be the same, but the Polish people will come together and get through this. I'm not Polish, but I've seen the culture from both the inside and outside and I can only imagine how you and your people must be feeling.

    My heart goes out to you and everyone else who is affected by this tragedy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jo. I've been constantly crying since I heard the news. It's the biggest tragedy that our country is facing right now since II World War. I might not have been into politics too but it doesn't matter right now. I pity much their daughter, she must be suffering enormously.

    Tragedy. Yesterday before going to bed I was praying that it was just a nightmare and tomorrow everything will be ok, will be normal. But they are gone. They are gone for good.

    My heart aches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Jo, I can only imagine. I'm sure its much worse that I think it is. I try putting myself in that position, if it was our leader and its heartbreaking. Poland will soon be on its feet, though, just hope for that day.

    ps- I'm back! :)

    -Jordan
    link- www.wishful.frostlights.info

    ReplyDelete

Páginas vistas en total

Páginas

Datos personales

My photo
Difficult to describe me really. Definitely I am very complicated and ambitious... an aesthete.. sometimes a complainer. Neverhteless I would like to become Miss Independent. But no big words like sacrifice, dedication, devotion, etc... After all, I am a normal working girl who likes to go out, do shopping and having fun with her friends.

Search

© Miss Independent in Sicily, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena