This is what I would like to be. This is what I believe I can become. Maybe it's a little more difficult since I live in a small town in Sicily. On this blog I want to describe how my life here gradually changes and evolves. Describe my little successes and failures. Enjoy!

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

In love with Impressionism.

When I was in elementary school (between the age of 8-15), I remember we had a class called "plastyka". It was divided into 2 parts:

1. Theory, during which together with the teacher we discussed different movements in art, we talked about great painters and sculptors, we prepared "speeches" introducing various "themes".

2) Practice, during which we "created" our pieces of art. We used various techniques to present our reality, to express our feelings and emotions.

While I loved the first part, I couldn't stand the other one. I'm not saying I am not creative but I despised having to do things "because the teacher told me so". I hated being rushed (each class was a block of 2 single lessons and had a total duration of 1.5h) and told what I should draw or paint and what technique I had to use.

Nonetheless, let's concentrate on the first part. I loved to read and find out about the history of art, I loved looking at the pictures in books presenting various works, various artists. Later, during the secondary school and my university years I never had a chance to take up a course like this. Don't really know why. I didn't even read much about art that time.

Something changed, something broke last year. I participated in Monet's exhibition in Milan.


The exhibition was called "Monet. Il tempo delle ninfee" (here you can see the pictures of the paintings) and was presenting a collection of works created by Monet during his stay in Japan and done under the influence of Japanese gardens and plants. I was truly impressed. Seeing the pictures with the right lightening, from the right distance and perspective was so different from looking at them in the books and magazines; I thrived on seeing the pictures "live"!


Afterwards, I got a chance to stop by Pavia, a small (although important) town near Milan where I came across an interesting exhibition of drawings by Marc Chagall (Marc Chagall. Le anime morte):


Seeing my enthusiasm and interest, my bf's brother and his gf (both of whom came to see this exhibition with us), gave me a book of Marc Chagall as a present for Christmas last year. This was my first "art book" and I loved it. By the way you can get it from here. And this is the book:


This year, I was fortunate enough to attend the exhibition of Dalì, again in Milan (it is held until January 30 so you're still in time to see it!) and I liked it too, especially that you have a unique chance to see some video documents presenting Dalì in various situations and circumstances, during interviews and public demonstrations. His genius, eloquence and creativity is revering and shocking at the same time. The use of irony in his creative life defines him as a person and artist. He was Dalì, the Artist, both in private and public. I enjoyed the exhibition, even though after seeing it, now, I know that Symbolism is not my cup of tea. I'm absolutely more attracted to Monet's style, to Impressionism. That's why, I searched for a bit on the Internet and found a course, a series of  24 30mins lectures (in 2 versions, as a audio book and video-lectures accompanied by a handbook) taught by Richard Bretell, a Ph.D professor of University of Texas at Dallas. And so now, whenever I walk Artù, whenever I drive a car, my IPod is always on and I get carried away by the amazing history of art told in an incredibly interesting and amusing way. Usually, I listen to each lectures twice or even three times in a row so that I can remember as much details as possible. Once I finish the audio version of these lectures, I'm going to watch them so that I have a better understanding of the pictures that Mr Bretell describes.

Last weekend I was in Rome for work. Fortunately I had also some "free time". I couldn''t do otherwise but to visit an exhibition held in Complesso del Vittoriano (by many called as a "Wedding Cake" because of its color and shape) dedicated to Van Gogh. "Vincent Van Gogh: Campagna senza Tempo. Città Moderna!" is the full name of it and presents over 70 pieces of art in which Vincent shows his love of the countryside as a fixed set piece and his attachment to the city. What's interesting, apart from Van Gogh, you can see over 40 paintings by Gauguin, Pissarro, Millet, Cézanne or Seurat. Absolutely marvellous!


Tomorrow I'm leaving for a work conference in Madrid. I'm so excited! Not only will I be in this city for the first time in my life and will I meet all the people I have a contact with only via email or skype but I hope I will also have a chance to see another Impressionism painter exhibition. In Museo Nazional del Prado, there's Renoir's exhibition! It's called "Passion for Renoir" and I really hope I'll have a chance to see it!

Looking at the list of exhibitions I have had a chance to attend during the last 2 years, I must say: I'M IMPRESSED! Wow, I've seen quite a lot! : )

Therefore here are the books published by Taschen which I'd be happy to receive as a present. Christmas is behind the corner! : )

1. 2-volume monography: "Impressionism" by Ingo F.Walther 


2. "Cézanne" by Hajo Duchting


3.   "Monet or The Triumph of Impressionism" by Daniel Wildenstein

Have a wonderful weekend everyone! I promise to take some pics from Madrid! : )

2 comments:

  1. I love art! Ahhh so inspiring! I bet it was so fun to be able to see all of Monet's work. Love it! Can't wait to see pictures of Madrid!

    wishful.divah.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who does not nеed tо reside an еxtended, healthy, anԁ hаppy lifestуle?
    Аnd it is potential only if just onе has a tendenсу to carry a соuple of equilibгium
    in ԁo the job and perfoгm and concentrates οn shеlling оut sοme high-quality timе in dοіng both еqually.

    A balancеd way of lіfe wоuld be the only vital into а healthiеr anԁ аffluent dwellіng.


    Also visit my web blog ... http://www.hi-sap.net/node/2

    ReplyDelete

Páginas vistas en total

Páginas

Datos personales

My photo
Difficult to describe me really. Definitely I am very complicated and ambitious... an aesthete.. sometimes a complainer. Neverhteless I would like to become Miss Independent. But no big words like sacrifice, dedication, devotion, etc... After all, I am a normal working girl who likes to go out, do shopping and having fun with her friends.

Search

© Miss Independent in Sicily, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena