This is what I would like to be. This is what I believe I can become. Maybe it's a little more difficult since I live in a small town in Sicily. On this blog I want to describe how my life here gradually changes and evolves. Describe my little successes and failures. Enjoy!

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Smile! Or cry!

A little part of the time I spent in Poland, I dedicated to watching tv. You cannot imagine how good and nice it is to finally watch programmes produced by your native tv stations. I loved to listen to Polish language, I cherished watching some fragments of Polish soap operas that I hated back in the past when I lived there.

One thing that I am always interested in and enjoy the most wherever I am are the tv spots and ads. And I saw one spot for an important language school in Poland that I absolutely need to share with you today here.



Of course it made me think. In Poland we were always a bit... hmm.. lazy about learning foreign languages. I must admit happily it starts to change (please note that I'm stressing the word "starts" here). I can see that more and more shop assistants at least try to communicate (and don't run away pretending there's a very urgent phone call they need to make at that very minute) when a foreigner comes in asking about the availibillity of colours of the T-Shirt he has just spotted on the display window, people don't turn around acting as if they didn't hear if a tourist asks them about direction to the nearest bank or post office. I'm not referring only to the English lg. I really hope that in a few years Poland we'll be more like Sweden (when children start learning languages in the kindergarten and sth like 70% of population speak English at an intermediate or higher level) or rather than Italy, France or Spain...

4 comments:

  1. Ah, here in Canada my parents managed to get some Polish channels and I admit, I used to be -addicted- to Pierwsza Milosc! And I totally get what you mean - most of my family that lives in Poland does not speak English, unless they are younger. But I guess that gives me hope for future generations, that they'll be more open to learning other languages, English or otherwise! Ahh, you're making me miss Poland :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww that was nice! Empik rules! cool ad they managed to make! Love it! hmmm I liked watching Ranczo... I don't know I loved this positive vibes I got watching this serial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello jo jo jo jo!

    happy autumn!!

    i have just caught up on your blog - looks like you`ve been having a good time. i missed you!

    and i am so SAD that i missed getting a postcard from poland! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girls! I left Poland almost 4 years ago now and I haven't had a chance to see "Pierwsza Milosc" or "Ranczo", I know they exist but haven't seen even one episode! : ((

    Sarah: I MISSED YOU SOOOOOO MUCH!!!! I'm so happy you're back! : ) And about the postcard, don't worry, I'll let you know when I go to PL next time : ) Promise! : )

    ReplyDelete

Páginas vistas en total

Páginas

Datos personales

My photo
Difficult to describe me really. Definitely I am very complicated and ambitious... an aesthete.. sometimes a complainer. Neverhteless I would like to become Miss Independent. But no big words like sacrifice, dedication, devotion, etc... After all, I am a normal working girl who likes to go out, do shopping and having fun with her friends.

Search

© Miss Independent in Sicily, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena