This is what I would like to be. This is what I believe I can become. Maybe it's a little more difficult since I live in a small town in Sicily. On this blog I want to describe how my life here gradually changes and evolves. Describe my little successes and failures. Enjoy!

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Stay.. or go..?

This is the question that by no means most of the Italian "graduate to be" pose themselves constantly.

I have just read an interesting article in the online version of Corriere della Sera (an Italian daily newspaper, first in sales), concerning young people in Italy, their ideas and expectations of the future.. the results of the survey are kind of... hm... let me put it this way: interesting...

First of all, 2 out of 3 undergraduates declare they want to start their working experience abroad just after finishing their studies. Only 36.8% of the interviewed decisively decline the idea. However, according to the commentators and work consultants, most of those intending to leave Italy have rather "romantic" approach to their future in a foreign country. They perceive the world abroad as better, easier and with more potential for their career and personal development... And now my personal view.. how the heck, are they going to succeed if 74% of Italian students study only one foreign lg, supposedly English, (source here) and I can bet that most of them are at the very beginner/elementary level.

But let's suppose they all go.. what are the countries they would choose? In the chronological order: the US, England, Germany, Spain, Sweden (?), and France.

And what is the first, the most important criterion when looking for a job abroad? Money, of course. This is understandable, especially if we consider the fact that statistically the first average salary for 43% of the post graduate in Europe equals 1700 euros, whereas in Italy most of the young employees receive a little bit more than a half of it.

And what is the list of jobs the Italians would never like to do? Well, let me cite the poll results: mechanic, operaio (physical worker), hairdresser (really??), aesthetician (really??), fast food worker, soldier, road sweeper and the most hated ever is the mason. According to the consultant there are two types of jobs: those ones which are taxing but not dangerous and those which are dangerous but not taxing. Mason is a combination of these two types. No wonder then that in Italy most of the masons are foreigners...

And now... what do you think about the Italians... : )

3 comments:

  1. That's interesting. I always knew I might move, and maybe out of state, but out of country seems like a luxury that I might never attain!

    Its hard to get a visa and everything... I guess if it was easier, maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats interesting!

    why why why do most foreign people want to go work in the USA? ok granted, ive never been there and i dont have anything against it, but why is there so little variety? all my kids want to go to america. i dont get it

    did you always know you would live in rome?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natalie: Luxury.. well, yes, that's the same for us, Europeans if we think about moving to the US... But sometimes it's worth it! And than you can always get a job if you want to : )

    Sarah: You know, I have no idea why everyone is thriving on the life in US. American dream, they say : ) I have never been there too but I'm sure I will like cities like New York, Boston or Los Angeles : ) Maybe one day?
    And then.. Sarah, I live in Sicily, I go to Rome sometimes, yes, but have never lived in Rome : )

    ReplyDelete

Páginas vistas en total

Páginas

Datos personales

My photo
Difficult to describe me really. Definitely I am very complicated and ambitious... an aesthete.. sometimes a complainer. Neverhteless I would like to become Miss Independent. But no big words like sacrifice, dedication, devotion, etc... After all, I am a normal working girl who likes to go out, do shopping and having fun with her friends.

Search

© Miss Independent in Sicily, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena