This is what I would like to be. This is what I believe I can become. Maybe it's a little more difficult since I live in a small town in Sicily. On this blog I want to describe how my life here gradually changes and evolves. Describe my little successes and failures. Enjoy!

Sunday, December 27, 2009

Christmas postcards from Sicily.

As I promised yesterday, I'm going to drone on my Christmas in Sicily. It's a completely different approach they have, there's never snow so the atmosphere is just not the same as in Poland at this time of year. But it's ok. I mean: " When in Rome do as Romans do", therefore it's just a matter of acceptance and tolerance towards their way of spending this time. Of course there's shopping frenzy before and Santa Claus (Babo Natale) comes every year, and people put on creche rather than Chritmas tree (since there are very few forests here, the only Christmas tree people can buy and decorate are the fake ones, unfortunately) and artificial snow on the display windows. It's just different when the temeprature rises to 20°C and the sun is shining all the time. I got used to it.

1. December 24, 2009

In the morning I was busy baking a cake for the dinner so there are no pictures. Nevertheless, I would like to show you how they (Italians) usually decorate their Christmas table. It's beautiful as far as the colours are concerned but it's very modest and they almost always use the plastic plates to eat (whereas in Poland we use our best crockery for this evening). The evening starts quite late, at about 9.00pm and lasts until midnight or even later: the dinner is followed by a Bingo game. Of course you play with money!


I found it sweet to put the card with names so that no one is confused about where to sit. On the other hand it's disarming they still spell my name this way:


And this is Giulia. One of the most adorable children I have ever had a chance to meet. I played with her the whole evening!


As I mentioned in my previous posts, this year we didn't buy each other presents but donated some amount of money to a lady whose children are paralyzed and need an operation to walk again. However some of us broke the rules... Here's one of the presents from my dearest friends. It's just perfect! : )




2. December 25, 2009

On that day we went to my bf's parents for lunch/dinner.




And in the afternoon we went for a walk to collect some fresh oranges! Who doesn't normally do it on a Christmas Day?!



There were hives too!



3. December 26, 2009

That day was not as sunny but in the morning we decided to go for a walk to one of my favourite places: an old, abandoned lighthouse. The place is wild and not very frequented by people, surrounded by a vast area of stunning plants and bushes. My paradise.







I mentioned playing games before. Well, yes, also that day finished with a gathering at my bf's sister who organized "A game evening". It's very common in Italy to spend evenings between Christmas and New Year's Eve playing cards and various board games. Of course since the Wii invention, the evenings have changed grately.



Ok, that's all about my Christmas. What about yours? I cannot wait to read!


PS. We're still waiting for Luna to have the puppies.. : )

4 comments:

  1. It looks like you had a nice Christmas. I love the idea of donating for your gifts. That's great. I also loved the part of your post where you told about Christmas in Italy, I love learning about cultural differences!

    velvetcupcakes.kvf@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jo I'm so glad everything turned out alright! Looks like you still had a lovely time even if it was minus the snow!

    Odd about the plastic plates and all! But i guess it saves the Nonnas having to clean up after everyone?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw I loved this! I love learning about the traditions you or italians have. So very fasacting! Looks beautiful there! I think its great you donated your money to help someone else, sounds like one amazing Christmas!

    Have a wonderful week!

    (soon to be moving sites so I can blog again!...)

    ReplyDelete

Páginas vistas en total

Páginas

Datos personales

My photo
Difficult to describe me really. Definitely I am very complicated and ambitious... an aesthete.. sometimes a complainer. Neverhteless I would like to become Miss Independent. But no big words like sacrifice, dedication, devotion, etc... After all, I am a normal working girl who likes to go out, do shopping and having fun with her friends.

Search

© Miss Independent in Sicily, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena