This is what I would like to be. This is what I believe I can become. Maybe it's a little more difficult since I live in a small town in Sicily. On this blog I want to describe how my life here gradually changes and evolves. Describe my little successes and failures. Enjoy!

Monday, February 23, 2009

Oscars, Oscars...



I know that today's post was supposed to be the continuation of the Saturdays' one (Celebrities in Italy: Women), but I cannot really not write and not comment on one of the most important nights in the world of entertainment, the Oscars' night. Let me just draw you a picture of my attitude towards the Oscars. Since I was a little girl I couldn't wait to watch this remarkable event on tv and you should know it was a real challenge to stay awake almost all night (yes, the 9 hours of difference make a REAL difference, so you start watching it at about 2.00 a.m. until 6 or 7 a.m. and the same day (morning) you need to drink gallons of coffee in order to be able go to school/work). Therefore I remember quite well coming back from school, having dinner and then going to my best friend's home in order to get glued to the telly. Unfortunately, usually we carefully watched the less important categories and then ended up fast asleep ina comfy armchairs or on a comfy coach at the end of the ceremony when The Best Actor/Actress/Film were pronounced. It was fun, though! The second thing I should underline is that majority of films that are Oscar candidates you can see with a big delay in Europe. More often than not, they arrive after the Oscars were already handed. Consequently it's always difficult for all the cinema lovers to be "fully updated" for the Oscars' night. Nevertheless, this year we were more than lucky and managed to watch most of the films. Let me comment on the verdicts.


1. Best picture: "Slumdog Millionaire". I absolutely agree. This story, so simple and complicated at the same time made me hope that good films can/should be appreciated even though they're not entirely commercial.


2. Lead Actor: Seann Penn in "Milk". I should admit, I didn't have a chance to watch "Milk". I saw Frank Langella in "Frost/Nixon", Brad Pitt in "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" and Mickey Rourke in "The Wrestler" and I really expected that the latter would win. What a pity! Need to watch Milk this week, absolutely!


3. Lead Actress: Kate Winslet in "The Reader". Yes, yes, YES! It was an exquisite performance! On the other hand, I didn't like her in "The Revolutionary Road"... She was quite phoney, don't you think?


4. Supporting Actor: Heath Ledger in "The Dark Knight". It couldn't be different.


5. Supporting Actress: Penelope Cruz in "Vicky Cristina Barcelona". I liked her, she was cute. Maybe the most conspicuous of all the other nominated roles.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Páginas vistas en total

Páginas

Datos personales

My photo
Difficult to describe me really. Definitely I am very complicated and ambitious... an aesthete.. sometimes a complainer. Neverhteless I would like to become Miss Independent. But no big words like sacrifice, dedication, devotion, etc... After all, I am a normal working girl who likes to go out, do shopping and having fun with her friends.

Search

© Miss Independent in Sicily, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena