This is what I would like to be. This is what I believe I can become. Maybe it's a little more difficult since I live in a small town in Sicily. On this blog I want to describe how my life here gradually changes and evolves. Describe my little successes and failures. Enjoy!

Monday, June 8, 2009

Stars sans fards?

I don't like to be repetitive but couldn't really not talk about all this Photoshop/make-up craziness one more time.

Do you often go out without a trace of make up? I do. I'm quite tired of putting it everyday during weekdays for work and so I try wearing none (or almost none) during the weekends. I like my face to breathe and look natural, especially now, when the sun is high up in the sky and my complexion start to obtain this natural-peach colour without any particular effort. Of course I put some bronzer in the evening but in general, I try to avoid it at home or when I buy corn flakes at the local greengrocer's. I think most of the stars and celebrities do the same even though we always see them with perfect make up on magazine covers. But do they always look like this (apart from the official gala dinners, film shows, concert, beneficiency gatherings etc )? Some might claim they do. Well, French Elle decided to rebel against this fallacy and in the April issue you could see these:





Eight world-known celebrities (including Eva Herzigova, Monica Bellucci, Sophie Marceau, and Charlotte Rampling) decided to present themselves without ANY make-up at all and what's more without any Photoshopping and retouching! The campaign called "Stars sans fards" (an expression which literally means "without make up/rouge" and which is also a French idiom that we can translate as "openess") is a kind of watershed in the history of fashion/make-up industry. Of course we shouldn't forget about the Dove's compaigns which feature "normal girls" in "normal shapes and forms" and which refuse to show always-looking-good celebrities:


On the other hand there are the "stars without make up stories" in which as someone nicely put it here: "there's always a GOTCHA! element, a message that says: Our gift to you: Derive pleasure from how ugly this person looks without cover-up for her zits!"

Elle though has finally noticed that these gorgeous dolls we admire so much are just "normal" girls after all who sometimes wake up with pimples, large pores, dark eye circles etc. And despite the fact that I adore fashion, beauty magazines which teach new make-up techniques, I loved the idea to show the real side of these beauties. I mean, are they less beautiful now? Not at all. The idea of Elle is innovative, fresh and very vogue. I like it!

6 comments:

  1. wow but look how beautiful they all look sans makeup!

    makes me jealous!! i usually put on the bare minimum, but its always there. i would like to get the phase where i am comfortable enough without any, but its a long way off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love those real life photos being on magazine covers... especially on monday mornings when you feel like shit and it just makes you feel not so bad!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love how fresh those french models look without make-up! its such a good ad campaign

    i don't put a lot of make-up on unless i'm going out, but just like sarah said, the bare minimum is usually there

    ReplyDelete
  4. average is IN! I hate when people photoshop pictures. There's a girl at my school who has a mom as a photographer and she edits all her photos. Sure, she's gorgeous online. But in person? You couldn't even recognize her. When I take pictures for photography. I don't edit them. Why change the nature that's already given to us? Same with people! Why change what we already have? Its beautiful just the way it was born.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Makeup is over rated. I definitely dig the campaign.
    It gets old hearing about girls who use hair and makeup products as a crutch for the self esteem. There should be more depth to someone than face paint to hold their ego together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for your comments, girls. I can see we are absolutely on the same wavelength! : )

    ReplyDelete

Páginas vistas en total

Páginas

Datos personales

My photo
Difficult to describe me really. Definitely I am very complicated and ambitious... an aesthete.. sometimes a complainer. Neverhteless I would like to become Miss Independent. But no big words like sacrifice, dedication, devotion, etc... After all, I am a normal working girl who likes to go out, do shopping and having fun with her friends.

Search

© Miss Independent in Sicily, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena